aled's cyfle

Friday 24 November 2006

Sound design...

Posted at 11:33 am.

Yesterday and today we had John-Paul Jones in the office, giving us a workshop on Sound Design. We learned the basics (much of which most of us used creating our Digital Story), and we spent the afternoon creating a mash of words we had all recited. The words were a line each of the opening paragraph of Moby Dick (which I hadn't read, nor want to now).

My mashup ended up a little crude - many words in the opening paragraph of the book can be mashed up to create something quite innuendo-sounding. I might make it less crude and upload it here sometime.

John-Paul talked of the mashes of William S. Burroughs, who I can see possibly influenced groups like the Avalanches (his work is very similar to Frontier Psychiatrist). Even though he himself may not have created some of the funky-sounding mashes you can find (however I'm not certain about that), he was a "spoken word performer", whose spoken words were incorporated into the music.

I also found some audio interviews with Burroughs on the BBC Four website (from 1963) - I'm going to check these out when I find some spare time.

0 comments

Add a Comment