aled's cyfle

Monday 23 October 2006

Our day

Posted at 10:01 am.

Today is a day to continue with our own work from the pas few weeks. Last week was Maya, and I'm glad to say that I've finished the TV ident already. Luckily, it was only meant to last a maximum of 10 seconds, so it didn't take all that long to render (at TV production quality, of course). I imported and cut it in Premiere, and then added a nice jazz loop and some sound fx for the final version. Preview it below...
Quick Edit: The video is available on YouTube, but google video outputs better quality (especially if you view it in their player at the originally uploaded size)

...that is, if you have flash (and aren't looking at it from an rss aggregator)

Even though we were taught how to create objects that reacted to real-world physics (gravity, wind etc.), I decided to go for a more humourous, comical approach, and use 'minstrel-type' shapes to be what-would-become musical notes, trapped in a musical score jail.

I must admit that I'm glad that the Maya week is over, not that I didn't enjoy the experience - the end result was much better than I thought I'd be able to do, but I don't have that much interest in pursuing 3D further. Handy to know, and I certainly learned a lot - techniques, terms and basic skills, but it isn't my cup of tea. I found it tough to learn the tools of the trade - Maya, that is. The X, Y and Z axes were hard to get, but Matt made it much easier on us with his amazing knowledge of 3D and Maya.


Over the next four weeks, we're learning Dreamweaver, Project Management skills and being given a brief. I'm really looking forward to this, as its really the first piece of action we'll get - working in pairs, as a team, building something from scratch.

0 comments

Add a Comment